Best PriceReal time comparison
Easy BookingDirect access to over 450 train, bus and flight partners
Customer SatisfactionMore than 30 million users from over 120 countries
The Spanish state railway Renfe was created in 1941 to run the nation's rail network when it was nationalised. Renfe operates a wide variety of services ranging from regional rural lines and commuter links to the modern, high-speed AVE intercity trains. Renfe routes cover around 15,000 kilometres of railway. Renfe trains also travel from Spain into France in cooperation with France's national train company, SNCF. Book the cheapest Spanish train tickets with GoEuro today.
Book your Renfe Train Ticket with GoEuro
The first step of traveling with Renfe is by booking your train ticket. Where should you book your ticket, online on the company's website or directly at the train station in Spain? How cheap are Renfe train tickets?
- Online booking: You can book your e-ticket online directly on GoEuro or the website of the train company. To buy your Renfe ticket in English, and to compare over 300 train and bus companies on the GoEuro app.
- Purchase tickets at the train station: You can also buy your ticket directly at one of Spain's many train stations. You can buy your ticket at one of the station's sales offices, in advance or directly on the same day. In general, it is more advantageous to buy your ticket in advance.
- Printing e-tickets at the station: Some electronic tickets must be printed on the automatic terminals, be careful when booking online. With GoEuro, you will not need to print your e-ticket and you can travel by train directly with your phone. To collect your tickets in the automatic stations, you must bring your reservation code received by mail. You can also buy your tickets directly at the stations at the automatic stations until 5 minutes before the departure of the train. Payment is made by cash or credit card.
Routes and Destinations
Some of the most popular routes in Spain include Madrid to Barcelona, Madrid to Seville and Madrid to Alicante. Renfe's high-speed trains are increasingly used to keep travel times as short as possible.
Renfe Train Types
Renfe operates different types of trains depending on the route. Renfe offers: Suburban trains, which usually operate within a single province; Middle-Distance trains, which travel within an autonomous region and adjacent communities; and Long-Distance trains, which travel from one end of Spain to the other. Long-Distance Renfe trains feature numerous services including meals, refreshments, newspapers and movies.
Renfe's fleet of trains include:
- AVE: These are Renfe's high-speed trains, most commonly used for long-distance routes. The AVE train from Madrid to Barcelona is the most popular high-speed train route in Spain. AVE trains offer a variety of services, including a "silent car" for those wishing to rest for the duration of their journey.
- Alvia: Alvia trains operate on AVE tracks at lower speeds. Alvia trains are also used to reach destinations in Spain which are not located on AVE routes.
- Euromed: Euromed trains connect cities along Spain's Mediterranean coast. The train from Barcelona to Valencia is the most popular Euromed Renfe route.
- Altaria: The main Altaria train routes are trains from Madrid to Murcia, Madrid to Granada, and Granada to Algeciras.
- Trenhotel: Renfe's night train service, Trenhotel's most popular routes is the train from Madrid to Lisbon.
Renfe Tickets: FAQ
Where can I buy Renfe tickets?
- Online via the provider website.
- By using the GoEuro app or website.
- At stations throughout Spain and France.
What are the Renfe ticket types?
The Renfe ticket system offers first and standard class seats and includes a wide variety of discounts.
- Promo or promo+ tickets: Buying these tickets in advance an save travellers up to 70%.
- Return tickets: usually offer travellers a discount of 20% from the full fare.
- Group tickets: Groups can book a table for four and get a saving of up to 60%.
- Children's tickets: Children receive a 40% discount and children under four years old can travel on Renfe trains free of charge.
What facilities can you expect on a Renfe train?
- Renfe's long distance trains have an onboard cafe offering hot meals. On short distance trains there is a snack trolley.
- Service is provided to assist disabled passengers and ease of access to trains and station facilities.
- On most Renfe trains there are power sockets and air conditioning.
What are the baggage restrictions with Renfe?
- Luggage is restricted to three items per person for free.
- One pet per traveller is allowed on Renfe trains, the maximum weight is 10kg.
We’ve sent you a confirmation email.
Please click the link inside to complete the process.